For record keeping, what follows is a running list of monthly garden activity I haven’t mentioned in journal posts:
- Added 60 gladiolus bulbs into the bed outside the veggie garden fence. Varieties are Espresso and Fiorentina, for great contrast. early March
- Planted an evergreen clematis (Clematis armandii ‘Snowdrift’) along fence near hot tub, adding to fragrance garden we are attempting to establish there. early March
- Added columbine (Aquilegia ‘Black Barlow’) to new bed and existing perennial beds. Also transplanted geum started from seed purchased at Butchart (Chiloense ‘Mrs. Bradshaw’) into same beds. mid March
- Thundercloud plum tree is in bloom. mid March
- Purchased a new flat-edged shovel and a hoe since two older tools broke over the last months. mid March
- Discovered single-color Icelandic poppies for sale at Sunny Farms (!), and came home with a few coral/pink for front pots. Still hunting for white, though. mid March
End of March has been filled with travel and zero time in the garden! Can’t wait for April to really dig in.